Canned Sardine Fritters: Fritelle Sarde
- 2 cans good-quality oil-packed sardines, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 bunch parsley leaves, finely chopped plus extra, for garnish
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped pepperonchini
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated caciocavallo cheese
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to fill a deep pot no more than halfway
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon halves
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the canned sardines, eggs, garlic, parsley, pepperonchini, bread crumbs and cheese. Using a wooden spoon stir lightly, not to mash mixture. Set fish mixture aside.
Fill a deep pot no more than halfway full with the olive oil. Heat over a medium flame until the temperature reaches 350 degrees F. The oil should remain at or around this temperature throughout the frying process. Using a spoon, make fritters into semi-balls. When the oil reaches temperature, gently drop the fish balls into the hot oil. Be careful not to splatter the oil. Fry each fritter to a golden brown, about 2 minutes. Carefully remove the cooked fritters with a slotted spoon and reserve on a serving dish. Repeat until all of the fish mixture has been used. These fritters are best served hot with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.