Clam Stew with Shiitakes, Cinzano, Chorizo and Guido's Garlic Bread
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus 1/4 cup
- 1 medium red onion, chopped into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 pound shiitakes, hard part of foot removed
- 1/2 pound cooked chorizo, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Cinzano Rosso sweet vermouth
- 1 1/2 cups basic tomato sauce, recipe follows
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 24 littleneck clams, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 baguette
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch thyme, leaves only, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
In a heavy bottom 6-quart pan, heat olive oil until smoking. Add onion, shiitakes and chorizo and cook until onion is softened, about 8 minutes. Add Cinzano and bring to a boil. Add tomato sauce, wine and clams, cover and cook until clams are open, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, slice baguette as if to make a submarine sandwich. Brush bread with wine, then oil. Sprinkle with garlic and thyme and close. Place in oven unwrapped for 5 minutes. Remove and cut into 4-inch pieces. Uncover clams and serve immediately.