Fried Zucchini Flowers with Goat Ricotta and Golden Tomato Oil
- 12 zucchini flowers
- 1 cup fresh goat ricotta, Coach Farm preferred
- 1 egg
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound fresh golden or yellow tomatoes, or golden cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 leaves basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
Pick through open zucchini flowers to remove stamens and check for bugs. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together goat ricotta, egg, scallions and nutmeg and taste for seasoning. Using a small teaspoon, stuff each blossom with 1 1/2 teaspoons of filling and set aside.
In a 10- to 12-inch non-stick saute pan, heat virgin olive oil until smoking. Place 4 flowers into pan at a time and cook until golden brown on both sides.