Grilled Beef Involtini alla Siciliana
- 8 slices beef, top round, about 4 ounces each
- 1 cup grated Pecorino
- 4 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 bunches flat parsley, finely chopped, to yield 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup currants, soaked 1 hour in warm water and drained
- 8 3-inch rosemary sprigs, soaked in water 1 hour
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Lemon wedges
Using a kitchen mallet or wide cleaver, pound each slice of beef between 2 oiled pieces of wax paper until thin but not torn, about 1/16-inch thick. Lay each piece out on a cool working surface. In a mixing bowl, stir together Pecorino, bread crumbs, parsley, pine nuts and plumped, drained currants until well blended. Season the beef slices with salt and pepper. Divide the Pecorino mixture among the 8 pieces of beef, spreading it out thinly. Roll the beef up tightly like a burrito and secure with toothpicks.
Lay 4 pairs of beef rolls side by side a half inch apart and skewer them with 2 rosemary sprigs to yield 4 sets. Season with salt and pepper and brush with olive oil. Grill until cooked, about 3 to 4 minutes per side, and serve immediately with lemon wedges.