Lamb "Wallets": Portofoglio di' Agnello
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 8 ounces field mushrooms, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 pound ground sausage, casing removed
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped Italian parsley
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup freshly grated caciocavallo
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 (6-ounce) portions leg of lamb, pounded flat as possible
- 1 cup canned ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- "Hee Hee" Garnish, recipe follows
"HEE HEE" GARNISH:
In a 10 to 12-inch saute pan, heat 1/2 cup olive oil until hot but not smoking. Toss in the mushrooms, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Deglaze pan with vinegar. Place in a large bowl, and add the sausage and combine. Add chili flakes, parsley, 2 eggs, cheese and cayenne pepper
Place equal amounts of the mixture in the center of each lamb piece, and gently roll up the lamb so that the mushroom mixture is enclosed. Secure the roll with a toothpick. Repeat the process with the remaining lamb pieces.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over high heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the lamb rolls and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to let the liquid simmer, until the lamb and the stuffing is cooked, about 1 hour, carefully stirring and basting occasionally with the pan juices.
Serve immediately with "Hee Hee" garnish spooned over each serving.
Combine ingredients and serve over lamb.