Seppie in Zimino
- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 hot chili peppers, whole
- 1 cup basic tomato sauce, recipe follows
- 3 pounds calamari or cuttlefish, cleaned and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
BASIC TOMATO SAUCE
Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until translucent, but not brown (about 10 minutes). Add the thyme and carrot and cook 5 minutes more. Add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to just bubbling, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Serve immediately, or set aside for further use. The sauce may be refrigerated for up to one week or frozen for up to 6 months.
In an earthenware oven and stove resistant dish, heat olive oil, onion, celery, garlic and chili peppers and cook until softened and light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add tomato sauce, cuttlefish, anchovies and potatoes and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and add wine and vinegar and cover. Simmer 1 hour. Check for seasoning and tenderness and serve with lemon wedges.