Vitello Tonatto Fondue
FOR THE MARINADE:
FOR THE MARINADE:
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons capers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
FOR THE VEAL:
- 4 (3-ounce) veal scallopini
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
FOR THE TONNATO SAUCE:
- 1 (200-gram) can oil packed tuna, drained of oil
- 2 teaspoon capers
- 1 tablespoon caper brine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Gray salt and freshly ground black pepper
MEANWHILE, PREPARE THE TONATTO SAUCE:
In a blender combine all ingredients and blend on high speed until smooth and well emulsified, check for seasoning and transfer to a small serving bowl.
Roll the marinated veal from end to end and skewer each roll on the end of the wooden skewers. Heat a grill pan over high heat, and add 1 tablespoon olive oil, heat until hot but not smoking. Add the veal skewers to the pan and cook on high for about 3 minutes on each side. Remove to a serving dish. Lower the heat on the grill pan to medium and add the red wine, reduce by half and spoon over the cooked veal skewers. Serve alongside the tonatto sauce to dip veal skewers.
Special equipment: 8 (6-inch) wooden skewers
In a small saute pan heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat, add the garlic and fry until golden brown, add the chopped capers, and the parsley to the pan, mix well and remove to a small bowl to cool. Stir in 1/2 cup olive oil.
Lay out the veal pieces and cut in half lengthwise to achieve 8 strips. Lay veal strips down flat in a non-reactive baking dish and spoon the cooled caper garlic mix over the top. Let marinate for 20 to 30 minutes.