Microwave Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Cream
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons marshmallow spread, such as Fluff
For the filling: Mix together the heavy cream, peanut butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract and set aside.
For the cake: Add the chocolate chips and butter to a small bowl and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds to melt. Stir and set aside.
In a bowl, whisk together the egg, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt, and stir until a thick batter forms. Add the melted chocolate to the batter and stir to combine. Transfer the batter to a microwave-safe mug and then pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes.
Allow the cake to cool slightly and then insert the handle of a wooden spoon into the center of the cake to create a well. Fill the well with peanut butter cream. Microwave the marshmallow spread for 10 seconds or so, to soften it up. Top the cake with the marshmallow spread and dig in.