Millie Martin's Hot Cabbage
- 1 piece fat back, sliced into strips
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 head green cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the fat back slices on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake until all the fat is rendered, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.
In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the onion, jalapeno, bell peppers, vinegar and red pepper flakes. Add 2 cups water, cover and cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Add the cabbage and cook until the cabbage is just wilted, about 10 minutes. Season with the salt and black pepper and pour the rendered fat from the fat back over the cabbage mixture. Stir to combine and serve.
A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.