Miso Riesling Ribeye with Green Onion Kicker
- One 1-pound bone-in rib eye
- 1/2 teaspoon shichimi togarashi (Japanese chili spice)
- 1/4 cup white or mellow low-sodium miso paste, such as Cold Mountain Kyoto
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Beringer Riesling
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger juice
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, plus more for greasing grill
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, such as Kikkoman low-sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch green onions (about 12), cleaned, tops removed to make 5-inch lengths
- 1 scant tablespoon grapeseed oil
- Juice of 1/2 fresh lime
- 1/4 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds, for garnish
For the steak: Preheat and oil a clean gas grill to medium-high heat. Gently massage the shichimi togarashi into the steak. Combine the miso paste, sugar, wine, ginger, oil, garlic, soy sauce and black pepper in a sealable plastic bag. Add the steak and marinate for at least 5 minutes.
Remove the steak and transfer the marinade to a saucepan on the grill and bring to a low simmer. Sear the steak on the grill until nicely caramelized, basting with the marinade, about 3 minutes per side. Lower the heat to medium. Continue cooking until the steak reaches an internal temperature of 125 degrees F. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes.
For the green onions: While the steak is cooking, brush the onions with the oil and grill, basting with the steak marinade, until slightly charred.
Wine Pairing Selection: Beringer Founders' Estate Riesling