Mushroom Spinach Thai Salad
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 jalapenos (preferably red), minced
- 2 cups mixed fresh basil, cilantro and mint leaves, chopped
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons toasted white sesame seeds
- 1 pound spinach, rinsed, stemmed and roughly chopped
2. In another bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sugar, jalapenos and the remaining 4 tablespoons lime juice. Stir in the chopped herbs. Add the portobellos and half the sesame seeds and gently mix until well coated with the marinade. Let stand until softened, about 6 minutes, tossing occasionally to better incorporate the marinade.
3. Transfer half the onions to the bowl with the mushrooms. Toss the spinach in the large bowl with the remaining onions. Transfer to a platter, top with the marinated mushrooms, the remaining sesame seeds and pickled onions. Drizzle with the mushroom marinade and serve.
Serves: 4; Calories: 209; Total Fat: 9 grams; Saturated Fat: 0.5 grams; Protein: 7 grams; Total carbohydrates: 30 grams; Sugar: 14 grams; Fiber: 7 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium:2067 milligrams