Mussels with Beer and Garlic-Chipotle Love
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic-Chipotle Love (recipe follows)
- 2 cups Mexican dark beer
- 1 pound mussels, debearded and scrubbed
- Toasted bread or warmed tortillas, for serving
- Cilantro leaves, picked off their stems, for garnish
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet with a lid. Add the onion and tomato and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent, about 8 minutes.
Serve in shallow bowls with plenty of toasted bread or warm tortillas for dipping. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
For Garlic-Chipotle Love:
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Pour the oil into a heavy ovenproof medium saucepan and add the garlic. Cover the pot with foil, put it in the oven, and cook until the garlic turns a nutty brown and is really soft (think cream cheese), about 45 minutes.
Remove the pot from the oven and let the garlic and oil cool to room temperature.
Store in the fridge in a tightly covered container for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to a month.
Yield: 1 cup
Copyright (c) 2011 by Placido, Inc. from SIMPLE FOOD, BIG FLAVOR by Aaron Sanchez, published by Atria Books, a Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc