No Cook Summer Squash Salad with Lemon and Herbs
- 3 medium-small summer squashes, preferably different colors of green, yellow and a mixture
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or chervil or a mixture
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 shaved slices Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 1 ounce)
Thinly slice the squash lengthwise on a mandoline. As you slice, lay the slices on a large platter. Once you cover the plate, lightly sprinkle the squash with some chives and about 1 teaspoon olive oil.
Cut into the lemon about halfway so you can squeeze the juice but still grate off the zest. Finely grate about 1/4 teaspoon of the lemon zest and squeeze 4 or 5 drops of juice over the squash. Top with a sprinkling of tarragon, about 1 teaspoon. Keep it light because the flavor adds up as you layer the vegetables. Season evenly with salt and pepper. Repeat with the ingredients to make 4 or 5 layers of squash flavored with the herbs, lemon and olive oil. Finish with a nice drizzle of the olive oil and herbs.
Set aside to allow the squash to soften slightly, about 30 minutes. Lay the slices of cheese on top. Serve.