No-Fuss French-Style Beef Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds beef top round, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, broken up and juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs tied together with kitchen string + 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound oyster, chanterelle, or white mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
Heat oil in medium Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium. Add all remaining ingredients except mushrooms and thyme leaves to Dutch oven; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour.
Reprinted with permission from Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook, copyright (c) 2011. Published by Wiley.