One Thumbed Gypsy
- 1 1/2 ounces cachaca, such as Leblon cachaca
- 1 ounce Red Pepper Saffron Syrup, recipe follows
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 ounce fresh orange juice
- Ice, for chilling
- 3 drops bitters, such as Bitter End Moroccan bitters
- Thinly sliced red bell peppers, for garnish
- 1 shrimp, grilled, for garnish
Combine the cachaca, Red Pepper Saffron Syrup, lemon juice and orange juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Dash the bitters on top for aroma. Garnish with thinly sliced red bell peppers and the shrimp.
Puree the peppers in a blender with about 1/2 cup water. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a saucepan. Add the sugar, 2 1/2 cups water, the paprika, cayenne pepper, chili powder and saffron. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Strain through a fine mesh strainer and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week. Yield: 4 cups.