Orange-Scented Dutch Baby Pancake with Strawberry-Mint Compote and Blood Orange Maple Syrup
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 egg white, room temperature
- 3/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest (preferably Cara Cara)
- Powdered sugar, for serving
- Strawberry-Mint Compote, recipe follows
- Blood Orange Maple Syrup, recipe follows
- 1 pint (8 ounces) strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom honey
- One 3-inch piece organic orange peel (use a vegetable peeler to avoid white pith)
- 1 tablespoon torn fresh mint leaves (about 6 leaves)
BLOOD ORANGE MAPLE SYRUP:
- Juice of 1/2 blood orange
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
In a blender, blend the eggs and egg white until frothy. Add the milk, flour, 2 tablespoons of the melted butter, sugar, vanilla and salt and blend just until smooth. Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the blender. Add the orange zest and pulse just to combine.
In a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Once hot, pour in the pancake mixture and transfer to the oven. Cook until golden brown and puffy, about 20 minutes.
Top with powdered sugar. Slice and serve with Strawberry-Mint Compote and Blood Orange Maple Syrup.
Place the strawberries, orange juice, honey and orange peel in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries are soft, about 8 minutes. Remove the orange peel. Stir in the mint. Serve warm or cold.