Pappardelle with Wild Boar Ragu (Pappardelle al Ragu Di Cinghiale)
- 2 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound cubed wild boar, may substitute pork shoulder, if desired
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces diced onions
- 2 ounces diced carrots
- 2 ounces diced celery
- 1 ounce minced garlic
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 ounce all-purpose flour
- 1 quart red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig sage
- 4 to 6-ounce portions fresh or dry pasta, cooked al dente
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Season the meat with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Once the meat is browned, add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Reduce the heat and cook until the moisture is gone. Add the tomato paste and flour. Add the red wine and herbs. Cover and cook for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. The sauce is done when the meat is fork tender.
Remove the meat from the sauce and set aside. Strain the sauce, blend, and return to the pan. Pull the meat apart and add back to the blended sauce.
Serve over pasta.