Peppery Hot Cabbage Salad
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil or vegetable oil
- Small pinch asafetida*
- 3/4 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 3/4 nigella seeds*
- 2 small dried red chiles, whole
- 1 teaspoon black gram lentils (urad dal), skinned, split and washed
- 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts
- 10 curry leaves*
- 1/2 large cabbage head, finely shredded
- Kosher salt
- *Can be found in specialty Asian markets
In a large wok or nonstick saucepan, heat the oil until it is smoking. Do not leave hot oil unattended. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the oil to cool for ten seconds. Return the pan to the burner, and turn the heat down and fry the asafetida, mustard seeds, and nigella seeds for 30 seconds. Add the chiles, lentils, and peanuts and fry for another minute, or until the lentils have started to color.
Once cooked, stir in the curry leaves, shredded cabbage, and salt, to taste. Stir-fry for 10 minutes making sure that the cabbage retains some firmness.
To serve, divide the cabbage between 2 or among 3 serving plates.