Pesto Perfection Pie
- 1 pound fresh basil
- 25 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 ounce pine nuts, roasted
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups Parmesan, freshly grated
- One 10-ounce pizza dough ball
- 6 ounces 50/50 provolone and mozzarella cheese blend, shredded
- 1 ounce Asiago cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup diced roma tomatoes
- 3 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped and roasted
- 3 ounces roasted garlic cloves
- 2 chicken thighs, roasted, coated in 2 tablespoons of pesto sauce and chopped
- 2 ounces chopped fresh basil leaves
Special equipment: a pizza oven or standard oven that can reach 600 degrees F
Preheat a pizza oven to 600 degrees F.
To make the pesto sauce: In a food processor, add the fresh basil, garlic, roasted pine nuts, extra-virgin olive oil and Parmesan. Blend until smooth.
To make the pizza: Roll out the pizza dough into a 13-inch round. Dock the pizza around the edge to prevent too much rising of the crust. Spread the dough with the pesto sauce and sprinkle on the provolone and mozzarella mix. Add the Asiago, tomatoes, roasted crimini mushrooms, roasted garlic cloves and pesto chicken and bake until golden and bubbling, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the pizza from the oven and garnish with the chopped basil.