- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, chopped into small pieces
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped out
CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- Egg wash (1 egg beat with 1 tablespoon water)
- Sugar, for sprinkling on the pastry
- Confectioners' (powdered) sugar for dusting the baked pastry
To make the quesitos:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
In saucepan melt the butter over medium heat; add the brown sugar, pineapple and vanilla bean, with the seeds. Cook until the pineapple is tender and the juices have thickened to a syrup. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly while you make the cheese filling.
To make cheese filling: In a bowl mix together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
Cut the puff pastry into 4- to 5-inch squares, depending on the size of the puff pastry sheet you have. Spread the cheese filling in the middle of each piece of pastry.
Tuck the points under the filled pastry, which will puff up high and keep the filling in the center.
Brush with more egg wash and sprinkle generously with sugar.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. You may have to rotate the two trays, top to bottom and back to front, to make sure they are baking evenly. They will be light and puffy when they are done. Allow them to cool.
Dust with confectioners' sugar.
They are fantastic with a cup of coffee.