Portuguese Seafood Cataplana
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce linguica sausage or fresh chorizo, removed from the casing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sliced shallot, optional
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 pound fresh manila clams
- 1 1/2 ounces medium-size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup crushed vine ripe tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- Smoked paprika
- Hawaiian sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
In a cataplana pan or shallow-sided pot with cover, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until lightly browned. Add the shallots, if using, and garlic. Cook until softened and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the clams, shrimp, tomatoes, wine and some paprika. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and steam gently over medium to medium-low heat just until the clams open and the shrimp are pink, 4 to 5 minutes.
Taste for seasoning. Sprinkle with the remaining oil, chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon. Serve directly out of the pan.
This recipe was provided by a professional chef or restaurant and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.