Potatoes with Togarashi and Wasabi Butter "En Papillote"
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons nori flakes
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated wasabi or 2 tablespoons prepared wasabi or 1 tablespoon wasabi powder
- 2 tablespoons togarashi powder (see Cook's Note)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 golf-ball-size Yukon Gold potatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Divide the potatoes evenly among 4 pieces of foil large enough to envelop the potatoes. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Place 3 heaping tablespoons of the seasoned butter on top of each packet. Fold over the foil and crimp all the edges to seal the packets.
Place the packets in the oven and cook until the potatoes are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. To test for doneness, pierce a potato with a paring knife; if the knife slips in and out easily, the potatoes are done.
Open the packets very carefully and place all the potatoes into a large bowl. Pour any liquid left in the packets over the potatoes.
Serve as a side with any fish or meat, or eat as a snack!
NotesTogarashi powder is widely available at Asian markets.
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional. It has not been tested for home use.