Pumpkin Risotto with Amarone Sauce
AMARONE WINE SAUCE:
- 2 cups Amarone wine
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (3/4 to 1 pound) pumpkin, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 3 cups vegetable stock, plus 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Amarone sauce, recipe follows
In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil and then add the onions. Gently fry until soft and translucent. Add the pumpkin, bay leaves and 1 cup of the vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer and cover. Steam over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Add a tablespoon of remaining stock to the pumpkin base and mash it down into a puree using the back of a wooden spoon or spatula.
In a large, heavy-bottomed pan, heat some olive oil and add the rice. Add the remaining stock and cook for 12 minutes with the lid on until the stock has been absorbed, the rice is al dente, and has a lovely creamy consistency. Add the pumpkin puree into the risotto pan and stir together.
In a small bowl, mix together the water and flour. Gradually add the flour and water mixture to the pan, continually stirring, until the sauce has the desired consistency and flour is cooked (the sauce should be clear).