Raspberry and Strawberry Shortcake
- 12 ounces fresh raspberries or frozen raspberries
- 7 ounces self raising flour
- 1 ounce ground almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons/2 ounces butter
- 3 ounces caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 pint (1/2 cup) milk
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 1-ounce icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1/4 pint (1/2 cup) double cream
Thaw the frozen raspberries, if using.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Sift the flour, almonds, salt and cinnamon into a bowl and rub in the butter, mix in the sugar. Add the beaten egg and milk to make a scone-like dough. Divide the dough in 2 and gently shape each half to fit into greased 8-inch sandwich tins. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. When cold spread one of the layers with raspberry jam, then generously with the double cream and raspberries. Sprinkle raspberries with icing sugar, cover with the second layer and top with more cream. Decorate with a few raspberries. Best eaten when fresh.