Restorative Watercress and Pear Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large bunch spring onions, chopped
- 3 1/8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 small potatoes, sliced
- 1 thumb-size piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 pears, diced, plus wedges for garnish if desired
- 2 bunches watercress, washed and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Crushed chiles
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan and gently fry the garlic and spring onions for 10 minutes. Add the stock and potatoes. Squeeze in the juice from the grated ginger, discarding the fibrous pulp. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Combine the pear and watercress in blender and add the potato-stock mix. Puree, and then add salt and black pepper to taste. Serve the soup garnished with pieces of pears, chiles, if desired, and a dash of olive oil.
Best if eaten within 2 days.