Rice and Chickpeas
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons annatto seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Two 15.5-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried mango, finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup pitted Spanish olives, sliced into thin rounds, plus 1/4 cup olive brine
- 4 cups medium-grain rice, rinsed
2. Strain the oil into a Dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed pot with a lid; discard the seeds. Add the coriander and cumin and cook on medium heat for 2 minutes. Turn the heat to medium-high and add the chickpeas, mango, garlic, bell peppers and onions. Season liberally with salt and black pepper and cook until the onions and bell peppers are soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Add the chicken stock and olive brine and bring to a boil. Add the rice, stir to combine and bring to a boil again. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the rice is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a large fork and stir in the sliced olives. Adjust the seasoning with additional salt and black pepper if needed. Serve in a large bowl, or mound onto a serving platter.