Roasted Corn Pudding
- 4 ears fresh corn with husks
- 1/4 cup chopped bacon
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons masa harina
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 325. Place the unshucked ears of corn on the center rack of the oven and roast for 35 minutes. Let cool until they can be handled, then cut the kernels off the cobs (about 2 cups kernels). Set aside. Discard cobs. Grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet.
Add the onion and garlic to the bacon drippings and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the jalapeno and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Stir in the roasted corn and heat thoroughly.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, masa, and cornstarch. Drizzle in the warm milk mixture, whisking constantly. Stir in the corn mixture until well blended. Stir in the thyme, sugar, and reserved bacon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pour the mixture into the prepared 12-inch skillet and bake until the center is still jiggly but set, about 25 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook by The Lodge Company, Oxmoor House copyright (c) 2012