San Gennaro Sausage and Pepper Burgers
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh spicy (hot) Italian sausage (may use mild)
- 1 (16-inch square) focaccia bread, cut into quarters
- 4 lettuce leaves
1. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the pepper, onion, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and fry, stirring occasionally until soft and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.
2. Remove the sausage meat from the casings, then form into 4 (4 1/2-inch) patties. Heat a large heavy skillet or griddle over medium-high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Sear the burgers, turning once, until browned and just cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Slice the focaccia pieces in half horizontally to make a top and bottom bun. Put lettuce then the burgers on the bottom portion of the bread, add a mound of pepper-onion mixture and cover with the focaccia top. Serve.