Seriously Hot Doggin' (Cayenne Cupcakes)
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more if desired
- Pinch of salt
For the batter: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Beat the butter, brown sugar, sour cream, egg and vanilla with 1/2 cup water in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed until blended.
For the spicy buttercream: Beat together the sugar, butter, cream, cocoa and cayenne with an electric mixer until smooth, about 3 minutes. (It should be stiff, not runny.) Use a piping bag or spoon to spread the buttercream on top of the cooled cupcakes.