Singaporean Coffee Ribs
- 6 pieces prime pork ribs (about 1/2 pound per pork rib)
- 2 egg whites
- 2 1/2 oz. packets instant coffee mix
- 3 tablespoons Asian oyster sauce.
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 red chilis, chopped (preferably, bird's eye chillies)
- 2 sprigs spring onions
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon powder for dusting
- Vegetable oil, as needed for deep frying
- Pinch salt
In a medium-sized bowl, marinate the ribs at room temperature for at least 30 minutes in egg whites along with a pinch of salt.
Using your hands, rub in the corn starch, making sure that it partially coats all of the ribs. Allow them to sit for 10 minutes.
In a high-sided pot, heat the peanut oil to 350 degrees F and deep fry the ribs for about 5 minutes, or until roasting needle comes out clear, and set aside. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, add 1/2 cup of water, the instant coffee mix, oyster sauce and one chile and simmer over medium heat until sauce thickens.