Skillet Bean Hash
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes (about 3 medium)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon, cut into thin strips
- 4 whole scallions, coarsely chopped, 2 tablespoons reserved for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce, plus extra for serving
- One 15-ounce can low-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
Cube the potatoes into 1/2-inch pieces and put in a medium pot. Cover with cold water by 1 inch and bring to a simmer. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon, scallions, garlic and bell peppers and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender and lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the hot sauce, beans and 1/2 cup water. Simmer until the beans have softened and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, scraping the skillet as clean as possible with a spatula.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the drained potatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste. Cook, stirring once or twice, until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir the onion-bean mixture back into the skillet. Make 4 small indents in the skillet mixture and crack 1 egg into each well. Lightly sprinkle the eggs with salt and black pepper.
Bake until the egg whites are just opaque but still a bit wobbly and the yolks are still runny, 4 to 6 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the eggs as they will continue to cook as the dish sits. Scatter with the reserved scallions and more salt and black pepper to taste and serve with extra hot sauce on the side.
Per serving: Calories: 347; Total Fat: 13.5 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Protein: 21 grams; Total carbohydrates: 36 grams; Sugar: 4 grams; Fiber: 10.5 grams; Cholesterol: 200 milligrams; Sodium: 673 milligrams