- 1/2 pound bacon, coarsely chopped
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 2 pounds course ground beef
- Jerk BBQ Sauce, recipe follows
- Your favorite rolls or bread, for serving
- Cheddar and/or Swiss cheese, for serving
JERK BBQ SAUCE:
- 1/2 Jerk Base recipe, recipe follows
- 4 cups vinegar-based, store-bought BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups orange blossom honey (any honey will work)
- 4 large yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 2 bunches green onion, roots removed and chopped
- 4 jalapeno or habanero pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 5 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 6 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups soy sauce
- 1 cup dark rum (recommended: Myer's)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
Add the chopped bacon to a large saucepot and cook until very crisp and browned. Remove the bacon from pan. Add the chopped onion saute until very caramelized. Remove the onions from the pan and, in batches, brown the beef. Remove from the pan and use strainer to drain off as much of the fat as you can. Once drained, add all the cooked ingredients back to the pot and add enough of the jerk BBQ Sauce to almost cover. Simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hours, you may need to add more BBQ to get it to the sloppy stage. Serve on your favorite rolls or bread with Cheddar or Swiss cheese.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
For the jerk BBQ sauce: Combine 1/2 the Jerk Base recipe with the store-bought BBQ sauce and honey in a large bowl and stir to blend.
For the jerk base: Combine the yellow onions, green onions, jalapeno pepper, white sugar, brown sugar, cayenne, allspice, thyme, pepper, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, vinegar, orange juice, soy sauce, rum, oil and lime juice and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. When onions are very tender remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. In batches, use blender to puree until smooth.