Slow Cooker Sunday Gravy
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 carrot, grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 1/4 pounds cubed chuck steak
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 whole sprig fresh basil, plus 1/2 cup leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup dry red wine, optional
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Two 15-ounce cans no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne or similar shaped pasta
Spread the onion in the bottom of a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker. Top with the carrots. Toss the beef with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and spread over the vegetables. Sprinkle with the garlic and add the basil sprig.
Whisk together the wine, if using, tomato paste, flour, tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt until smooth and pour over the beef. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
When the sauce is almost done, bring a medium pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
Remove the basil sprig from the sauce and stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Gently break up the meat cubes using a fork by pulling them to the side of the slow cooker (you are not trying to shred the meat, but break it down into smaller pieces). Season with additional salt and pepper. Stir in the torn basil and serve over the pasta.
Per serving: Calories: 394; Total Fat: 6 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 31 grams; Total carbohydrates: 54 grams; Sugar: 8 grams; Fiber: 10 grams; Cholesterol: 62 milligrams; Sodium: 218 milligrams