Soba Noodles with Shrimp, Snow Peas, and Carrots
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons peeled grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce
- 1 package (8 ounces) soba noodles, (100 percent buckwheat)
- 1/2 bag (10 ounces) shredded or matchstick carrots, (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined, with tail part of shell left on if you like
- 4 ounces snow peas, strings removed
- 1/2 cup (packed) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, plus additional sprigs for garnish
Heat covered 5- to 6-quart saucepot of water and 1 teaspoon salt to boiling over high heat. Add noodles and cook 4 minutes. Add carrots and cook 1 minute. Add shrimp and snow peas and cook 2 minutes more. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Drain noodles, shrimp, and vegetables into large colander. Transfer noodle mixture to large bowl.
With whisk, beat reserved cooking water into peanut-butter mixture until well blended. Add peanut sauce and chopped cilantro leaves to noodle mixture in bowl and toss until evenly coated.
To serve, spoon into 4 large bowls; garnish each serving with a cilantro sprig.