- 1 pound turkey meat
- 8 ounces dry beans (red, white, red, brown or spotted kidney-shaped beans)
- 8 ounces white hominy corn or yellow samp or course grits
- Clam juice or salt, for seasoning, optional
- Dried onions or garlic, for seasoning
- 8 ounces winter squash, trimmed and cubed
- 4 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seed meats, pounded to a course flour, or nut flour
Combine the turkey, dry beans, hominy, clam juice, if using, some dried onions and 12 cups water in a large pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and then reduce to a very low simmer and cook until the beans are tender but not mushy, about 2 hours 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom.
Break up the turkey meat, removing the skin and bones. Add the squash and green beans and continue to simmer very gently until tender. Stir in the sunflower flour until thoroughly blended. Serve, give thanks and enjoy.