Spiced Fried Okra
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 ounces gram flour ( chickpea flour)
- 14 ounces fresh okra, wiped clean with damp paper towel, topped and tailed
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala (recommended: "Snack Spice"* spice blend)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mango powder or amchoor*
- *Can be found at specialty Asian markets.
Pour the oil into a large heavy-bottomed saucepan to a depth of approximately 1-inch over medium heat until a breadcrumb will sizzle gently when placed into the oil.
Put the gram flour in a shallow bowl. Slice the okra pieces lengthwise into quarters and toss them in the gram flour. Shake to remove the excess flour. Add the okra in batches to the pan and fry until the okra is crisp and golden-brown, stirring occasionally.
Remove the okra with a slotted spoon and place it into a large bowl lined with paper towels. Sprinkle over the chaat masala, salt, chile powder, and dried mango powder, and toss well to coat. Serve hot.