Spiced Ginger Rum Balls
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon roasted ground ginger
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup spiced dark rum
- Colored sanding sugar, for rolling
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet or a jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
Combine the butter and chocolate in a small metal or glass bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally.
Whisk the eggs, dark brown sugar, vanilla, salt and ginger in a large bowl. Stir in the melted chocolate and then the flour. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread with a spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean with a few crumbs, about 10 minutes.
Use a spoon to scoop the brownie into a bowl and beat together with the rum until crumbs start to come together to form a ball. Scoop with a cookie scoop to make 1-inch balls and roll between your hands. Roll in sanding sugar and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.