Spiced Mekong Delta Prawns: Tom Huong Cay
- 10 1/2 ounces large prawns, shelled and deveined with tail in tact
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red curry powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced red Asian shallot
- 6 spring onion, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 long red chili, finely sliced
- Jasmine rice, to serve
In a mixing bowl combine the prawns, fish sauce, sugar, oyster sauce, cinnamon, cumin and curry powder. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes, covered and refrigerated.
Pour oil in a large fry pan on high heat, fry the ginger, garlic and red shallots until fragrant and then cook each side of the prawns for 1 minute. Add the spring onions and 1 tablespoon of water and toss for a further minute.
Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with sliced red chili.
Serve with jasmine rice.