Spicy Aztec Caramel Chunk Brownies
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
- 4 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup prepared dulce de leche
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 3/4 cup (5 ounces) roughly chopped semisweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Melt the butter and chocolate together in either the microwave or on the stovetop in a small saucepan.
Meantime, combine the sugar, eggs, and extract in a large bowl. Stir in the flour, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and set aside.
Combine the dulce de leche with chipotle powder. Mix well and set aside.
When the butter-chocolate mixture is melted and smooth, combine with the egg mixture and stir until smooth. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Place 1 tablespoon-size drops of spiced dulce de leche on top of the batter and swirl with a knife. Sprinkle the batter with chocolate chunks and walnuts. Bake 25 minutes or until center is set.
Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting (good luck with that). Enjoy.
Cook's Note: These decadent brownies hit all of the high spots on the taste scale for sure.
The key step to this tasty treat is mixing the spicy chipotle powder with the sweet and gooey dulce de leche to make the decadent ribbons of kicked-up caramel through the brownies.