Spicy Cajun Skewers with Spicy Buffalo Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Hush Puppy Batter:
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Spicy Buffalo Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 8 tiger shrimp, peeled and cleaned with tails intact
- 8 okra pods
- 1 andouille sausage, sliced
- 4 small red potatoes, boiled
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat vegetable oil in a large pot over mediumhigh heat. Soak skewers in water about 30 minutes.
For the cajun marinade:
Combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
Once oil reaches 350degreesF, carefully drop large (2-ounce) spoonfuls of batter into pot and fry about 5 minutes. (Work in batches.) Drain hush puppies on paper towels and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
For the dipping sauce:
While hush puppies are draining, whisk hot sauce and butter in a small bowl.
Slide 1 hush puppy onto a skewer, followed by 1 shrimp, 1 okra pod, 1 slice sausage, 1 potato, another piece of shrimp, and another hush puppy; repeat with remaining skewers and ingredients. Brush liberally with Cajun marinade.