Spinach, Ham and Cheese Strata Muffins
- 12 ounces fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 eggs
- 1 pound crusty bread, cubed
- 5 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 ounces ham, chopped
- 2 ounces Parmesan, grated
Briefly steam the spinach until wilted, and then drain well.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onions and saute on low heat until soft and fragrant. Stir in the salt, pepper and nutmeg and turn off the heat. Stir in the wilted spinach and set aside to cool.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease jumbo muffins tins well.
Mix the Gruyere, ham and Parmesan into the strata mixture. Divide the mixture among the muffin tins and bake until the stratas are set and the tops of the strata muffins are browned, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, and then remove from the tins.