Stir-Fried Chicken with Cashews
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion bottoms, plus 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion tops
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups snow peas, ends and threads removed
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and julienned
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and cut on a bias
- 1 cup chicken stock or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 nests cellophane rice noodles
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a wok or a large saute pan over high heat. Dust the chicken with cornstarch. When the oil is hot, add the chicken, and cook until it just turns opaque, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the green onion bottoms, garlic, and crushed red pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the snow peas, red bell pepper, onion, celery, and cook until just tender, about 1 minute.
Add the chicken stock, hoisin, and soy sauce to the wok. Stir to combine. Move the contents of the wok to the side to reveal a well. Submerge the cellophane noodles into the liquid. Cover the noodles with the chicken and vegetables and cook 1 minute longer.
Remove the chicken from the heat. Add the green onion tops, roasted cashews, and toss to combine all the ingredients. Season the mixture with salt, and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately.
Serves: 4; Calories: 496; Total Fat: 25 grams; Saturated Fat: 4 grams; Protein: 35 grams; Total carbohydrates: 34 grams; Sugar: 10 grams; Fiber: 3 grams; Cholesterol: 118 milligrams; Sodium: 1081 milligrams