Sweet and Tangy Coleslaw
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 1/2 pounds cabbage, cored and shredded
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Emerils Original Essence or Creole Seasoning, recipe follows
Assemble all the vegetables, the celery seeds, and the mustard seeds in a large nonreactive mixing bowl, and pour the cooled sugar-vinegar mixture over all. Toss well to combine, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to serve, season the coleslaw with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and Essence, to taste. Toss thoroughly to combine.
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William Morrow, 1993.