Thai Bistro New York Strip and Warm Green Bean Salad
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound New York strip steaks
GREEN BEAN SALAD:
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 30 whole green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 orange, halved
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied pecans, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 2 avocados, diced
For the steaks: Mix together the soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, onion powder, garlic, pepper and ginger in a bowl. Place the steaks in a large re-sealable plastic bag and pour over the marinade. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
Preheat the grill to high heat for at least 10 minutes.
For the green bean salad: Whisk together the sesame oil, salt and pepper. Brush over the green beans and cut sides of the orange. Turn the grill down to medium-high and grill the orange cut-side down for 5 minutes. After 2 minutes, add the beans and grill until
grill marks start to form but beans are still firm, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
Lay beans in a single layer on a serving plate.
For cooking steaks: Remove steaks from the marinade and grill over medium-high heat until medium rare, 5 minutes per side. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes.
Gently mix the carrots and cilantro with 2 tablespoons of juice from the grilled orange. Pour across the beans in a straight line. Sprinkle the pecans, gorgonzola and avocados directly over the dressing.
Wine Pairing Selection: Beringer Founders' Estate Malbec