Thai Green Chicken Curry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 (4-inch long) fresh hot red chile, such as arbol, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or water
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced separately
- Serving Suggestions: Rice
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the curry paste, lime leaves, and chile and saute, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. Add the chicken and saute, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through.
Add coconut milk, broth, brown sugar, fish sauce, and lime juice to skillet and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and scallion and simmer for about 1 minute more. Divide among 4 bowls and serve immediately with rice.