- Two 6-ounce hand-ground chuck and brisket blend burger patties
- Salt and pepper
- 2 challah buns
- 3 to 4 ounces melted butter
- 4 slices applewood-smoked bacon, cooked and cut in half
- 6 slices aged Cheddar
- 2 ounces tipsy onions (slowly caramelized onions deglazed in whiskey, such as Jack Daniels)
- 1/2 ounce mayonnaise
- 1 ounce shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 ounces slow-roasted garlic tomatoes ( tomatoes roasted in olive oil with thyme and garlic at 350 degrees F for 2 hours)
- 1/2 ounce ketchup
- 1/2 ounces mustard
- 1/2 ounces bread and butter pickles
Heat a flattop grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Season both sides of the patties with salt and pepper and put them directly on the hot part of the grill, not moving at all for at least 3 minutes to create a crust.
Cut a little bit off the top and bottom of both buns, just removing the crust and exposing the inside. Then cut in half like a normal hamburger bun. Butter all sides of the bread and begin toasting on the medium-low side of the grill (or in a second skillet over medium-low heat). Toast for 1 to 2 minutes and then flip. Place 1 slice of Cheddar on each half (4 slices total) and then top the two bottom buns with all the bacon. Take the top buns with the Cheddar on them and place on the bottom buns. Press together firmly and cook to make delicious bacon-grilled cheese sandwiches. These will make up the top and bottom of your burger bun.
By this time you will need to flip the patties. Turn, and then top one of them with the tipsy onions. Once the grilled cheese sandwiches are toasty and melted, place them on a plate and begin to dress them with the condiments. Spread the mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato on the bottom grilled cheese. Put the ketchup, mustard and pickles on the top sandwich.
Top each patty with a slice of Cheddar (covering the tipsy onions) and place a lid on top of the patties to melt the cheese (you might also add a little water to help melt faster but be careful). Stack the patties, with the one with the tipsy onions on top. Place the stack on the bottom grilled cheese sandwich and top with the top sandwich. Stretch, pray and enjoy.