The Malnati Classic
- 20 ounces pizza dough
- Olive oil, for the pan
- 12 to 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 12 to 14 ounces 90-percent lean Italian sausage, casings removed
- 10 to 12 ounces seasoned Roma tomato sauce, maintaining chunks
- 2 to 3 ounces grated Parmesan
- 2 to 3 ounces grated Romano cheese
- Special equipment: a round steel baking pan
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Allow about 20 ounces of your favorite yeast dough to rise. You may do this if you have a proofer, or simply leave it at room temp for about 2 hours.
Oil a round steel baking pan with a few ounce of olive oil. Press the dough on the bottom and to the sides of the pan, being careful not to tear it. Holes in the dough will create a soggy crust. Pull the dough up the sides of pan to 1 to 1 1/2 inches high.
Place the mozzarella evenly across the dough. Top with the sausage, making sure to get the sausage all the way to the sides.