The Original Barbecue Pizza
- 1 pound homemade or store-bought pizza dough, at room temperature
- All-purpose four, for dusting
- 2 cups Coletta's Barbecue Sauce, recipe follows
- 12 ounces low-moisture, part-skim Wisconsin mozzarella, shredded
- 2 ounces Wisconsin pasteurized-process cheese, shredded
- 1 1/4 pounds barbecue meat, such as pork shoulder, cooked, chopped and heated
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 14-inch circle.
Spread one-third of Coletta's Barbecue Sauce evenly over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch edge for the crust. Mix the mozzarella and pasteurized-process cheese and sprinkle them over the sauce. Bake the pizza until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly, about 10 minutes. Remove the pizza from the oven and spread the barbecue meat over the cheese. Add the remaining barbecue sauce evenly over the meat. Serve immediately.
Combine the ketchup, onions, tomato puree, tomato paste, Worcestershire, sugar, basil, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic, cloves and 6 ounces water in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove the pan from the heat. Strain out the cloves and onions and cool the sauce to room temperature. Refrigerate until ready to use. Sauce can be made up to two days in advance. Yield: 2 cups.