The Portland Pizza
- 4 ounces garlic scapes, roughly chopped
- 1 kohlrabi, cut into 1/2-inch matchsticks
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into medium dice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- 10 ounces whole wheat pizza dough
- 4 ounces marinara sauce
- 6 ounces rainbow chard, stemmed and chopped
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 1 beet, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, cut into thin wedges
- 5 ounces bacon, cooked and cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 1 ounce local honey
Special equipment: a pizza peel
Preheat the oven to 600 degrees F.
Toss the garlic scapes, kohlrabi and pineapple in the oil, salt and pepper. Place in a high-sided baking pan and cover tightly with foil. Roast until the vegetables are tender, 12 to 15 minutes, then cool slightly. Keep the oven at the same temperature for the pizza.
Roll out the dough to a 16-inch round and place on a pizza peel. Ladle the marinara sauce on the dough and spread it out evenly. Spread the chard evenly over the pizza and cover with the mozzarella. Top with 6 ounces of the roasted kohlrabi mixture, the sliced beets, tomatoes and bacon. Slide the pizza into the oven and cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Garnish with a drizzle of local honey and cut into 8 slices to serve.
NotesRed Tractor Pizza uses their homemade Montana Sprouted Grain pizza dough for this recipe, but home cooks can use whole wheat pizza dough.
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.