The White House's Molasses Spice Cookies "Gingersnaps"
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch ground white pepper
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped candied ginger
- Granulated sugar, for rolling
Sift the dry ingredients together. Beat the butter and brown sugar with molasses until well combined and fluffy. Add the egg and ginger and beat 3 minutes. Add the flour mixture with the machine on low and then stir in the candied ginger by hand, do not over mix. Chill until the dough is firm and no longer sticky, at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Scoop with small ice cream scoop, about 1 tablespoon, and roll into a ball and then roll in granulated sugar. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets, about 2 inches apart and press flat, 1/4-inch high.
Bake about 16 minutes or until the edges are firm and the tops feel set to the touch. Cool 1 minute on the baking sheets and then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.